Hydraulic calculation of district heating network in city of Turku
Customer: Turku Energia Oy
Year: 2014 – 2015
Planora Oy carried out the hydraulic modeling and calculation of the district heating network of the city of Turku. The pipe length of the network is approximately 640 000 channel metres.
The hydraulic modeling and calculation of the district heating network is the basis for the efficient functioning and development of the district heating system. The aim of the hydraulic modeling and calculation is to
- define the size of piping
- define the condition of the current network, the need for pump stations and heating plants as well the optimal order of operation of heating plants
- define the demands set by the extension of the district heating network
- define the dimensioning of new equipment as well as equipment to be renovated
- instruct actions in order to decrease heat loss
- instruct actions in order to improve efficiency of district heating network
The hydraulic modeling and calculation of the district heating network (DHN) started by documentation of the network and examination of the coherence of topology. A model of the DHN was simulated representing its current state and a projection of the year 2025 using software programmes (Grades Heating/Termis). The simulations were run for both models with a calibration of the system as well as with different variables set by the customer (eg. winter and spring modes of the network; changes in the heating station’s power input), as well as for typical, extraordinary and crisis mode.
The result was an action plan for achieving the objectives of an efficiently running district heating system.